Type to search

GB News

Gilgit rape-suicide episode: police deny any laxity in filing FIR

TP 4 months ago

By Tanveer Ahmed

Two days after a “distressed and a conscience-stricken” man committed suicide in Gigit city after his teenage daughter was raped, the city police said on Saturday that they did not show any laxity in filing the FIR and had arrested the suspect on the day the case had been registered.

Najeeb Ullah, who hailed from Tangier Valley of Diamer district and a resident of Sakarkoie Gilgit, had committed suicide on Friday by jumping in the Gilgit River while an unidentified man captured the whole scene on his cell phone. Later, he shared the video on social media claiming that he (Najeeb Ullah) committed suicide after the police refused to register a case against a suspected, who had raped his daughter.

Gilgit Police Additional Senior of Superintendent Muhammad Ayaz told The Punch that Najeeb Ullah had approached the police on July 29 with a plea that his daughter, Zainab, had been missing for the last two days.

According to the police officer, the police had barely started an investigation into the case, Najeeb Ullah — who had left the Gilgit Women Police Station after lodging the case —  showed up again at the police station along with his missing daughter. He said that upon inquiry, the girl told the police that she had been raped.

According to ASP Ayaz, on the naming of the victim, the police immediately arrested the alleged rapist, identified as Afsar, 18, and a woman, Gull Aadam, who had allegedly abetted the rapist in kidnapping the girl.

The police officer said that the police immediately carried out a medical test of the victim, who, according to the test report, had been raped. He said that the suspect has also confessed to raping the girl. He said that a medical (DNA) report of the victim girl and the alleged rapist is being sent to Lahore for the forensic match.

ASP Ayaz dismissed the claims and rumours on the social media that Najeeb Ullah had committed suicide after police refused to file the case saying the police had been pursuing the case from the day one and the man suspect and other accused have been arrested. He said that it was most unbecoming of social media users to spread inaccurate, baseless and false news.

He said that Najeeb Ullah’s may have felt humiliated after the gory incident of rape of his daughter and he might have committed suicide for family honour. The police officer said that they were looking for the man who had filmed the video while Najeeb Ullah jumped in the water.

The police officer said that an FIR (5/19) under 364-A Pakistan Penal Code had been registered against the rapist, who, according to him, was in police custody and his physical remand will further be sought to broaden the scope of the case. ASP Ayaz said that the suspect also hailed from Tangir valley.

Meanwhile, Gilgit-Baltistan Chief Minister Hafiz Hafeez-ur-Rehman has announced to probe the incident through a judicial inquiry.

Some locals, who spoke to The Punch, claimed that Najeeb Ullah owed some money to the suspect, who had pressured him to give the hands of his daughter to him. After Najeeb Ullah refused, the suspect with the help of the woman (Gull Aadam) kidnapped her and raped her.


You Might also Like

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *