NEPRA holds K-Electric responsible for 19 deaths in Karachi
Karachi (TP) Sept 7: The National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) has found K-Electric for 19 electrocution-related deaths in Karachi during the monsoon spells of July and August, said a press release issued here on Friday.
Scores of people had died during the monsoon spells after they were electrocuted after broken and dangling live wires fell into the stagnant rainwater.
“The Investigation Committee of NEPRA constituted under Section 27A of NEPRA Act 1997 has submitted its investigation report to the Authority regarding loss of human lives due to electric shocks and suspension of power supply for prolonged duration during heavy rains in Karachi on 29th to 31 July and 10th to 12th August 2019,” the press release said.
According to the investigation committee report, K-Electric has been held responsible for 19 out of 35 electrocution cases and breakdown of power supply for a longer duration. “The NEPRA authority has decided to initiate legal proceedings against K-Electric under relevant provisions of NEPRA Act 1997. In this regard, a show-cause notice has been issued to K-Electric for the above charges,” the press release said.